When I run out of words and images, I got to color and texture. That’s what I did yesterday after making my “sugar plum tree” potholder. But where to begin? So I went in search of fabric, specifically one piece of fabric to inspire me. I found it in Laura Israel’s box of material. The colors and design hooked me. The piece, small enough to get lost in a quilt, big enough to make a 9 or 10 potholders with.
Next I dumped out my box of scraps and found a bunch of colors and patterns that would go with it.
Then I designed my first potholder. The first one always takes the longest. I’m just getting used to how all the fabrics work together.
The design often changes a bit when I sew it together. Just like when I make my quilts.
With each potholder I make a fabric loop for hanging the potholder.
I was able to make 9 potholders using the flowered and paisley fabric. Now I’ll give them to Kim to assemble. When I get them back from her, I’ll hand stitch the opening at the bottom and quilt them with my sewing machine. Then they’re ready to sell.