Picking up on the idea of the Zebra stripes, I used a pair of black and white striped pants that Lisa Carrino (Owner with her husband Scott of the Round House Cafe) gave me. But before that I laid down the pink fabric with maroon flower print that Fran gave me. Although that color isn’t in the front of the quilt, it seemed to me to work with the overall colors.
That’s how I began working on the back of the quilt this morning.
One of the things I try to do when I’m making a quilt is to put pieces of fabric together that don’t traditionally go together. And to make it work. Of course, “making it work” is subjective and that’s where me, trusting my aesthetics and creative intuition comes in.
When I decided to use the very formal horse and rider fabrics along with the Zebra’s I knew I was going to need something to take them out of the realm they occupy. I did this by juxtaposing them with some orange and yellow flowered fabric that looks like it’s from the 1970’s (I’m not sure if this fabric is vintage or a reproduction).
Today I used the fabric with the pumpkin on the back of the quilt (which is laying on the floor) to push the rest of the design out of its comfort zone and make another connection to the front of the quilt.
So this is how my mind works. I wanted something orange and when I pulled out that piece of fabric from my shelf I liked that it had one image depicted on it (a pumpkin), just like the horse and rider pieces from the front of the quilt each have a single image.
But just because my mind thinks it should work doesn’t mean it does. I didn’t know I like the way it looked till I laid the pumpkin down next to the rest of the quilt.
It’s a bit of a stretch for me and just enough to, maybe, make someone question what it’s doing there.
I don’t have a name for this quilt yet, but I’m tacking it now and thinking about just that, what it name it. I expect to have it done tomorrow and have a name for it by then too.