This is how it began…. I wanted to start a wall hanging so, last week I sewed together two pieces of an old quilt that I had.
I didn’t want to work within the confines of the quilted circles, so I made the white space bigger by cutting out some of the patchwork.
I left it at that for a few days, until I made some potholders called Goddess in the Boat. That gave me the idea that the Goddess in the Boat should be on the wall hanging. So I stitched the Goddess on the back of another piece from the same old quilt.
Then I used a marker to draw the boat. I removed all the patchwork and old batting that was within the outline of the boat.
After that I stitched over the marker with my sewing machine. I was trying to get a rough line, much like the line I drew with the marker.
I stitched a face on the Serpent Boat and some fins on its neck. Then I took some of the patchwork I previously removed and used it to fill in the fins and create aa design on the serpent boat’s belly and its tail.
The last thing I did today was cut out the Goddess and hand sew her onto the quilt, standing in the Serpent Boat.
I’m not sure what comes next, but I have a feeling the flying egg, that I made this morning, will find its way into the piece.