It’s been a while since I plucked this piece of wood from the woodpile and kept it from being burned up in the woodstove.
Ever since then, I’ve had plans for her. Not that I know exactly what she’ll look like when I’m done. But I do have some vague ideas about how to get started.
The first thing I wanted to do was have a way for her to stand up. I immediately thought of the hunk of marble that’s been kicking around the garden.
So I figured out where the holes should be and asked Ray, who made the work table in my studio, if he could drill through the piece of marble. He thought he had the tools to do it, so I made marks where I wanted the holes to be.
I happened to have two screws just the right length and circumference to put through the marble and screw into the bottom of the “legs” of the wood.
I was surprised at how easy it was. I actually marked the holes in the right place, the wood didn’t split, and it’s standing straight.
Now the fun part. Finding the goddess in the wood.