I haven’t yet sewed the head of my goddess onto the quilt backing. I pinned her down, but she seemed to get lost in the colors of the quilt.
So I sat a while just looking at her and got the idea to use a part of the original quilt to fill in just the white and black patterned diamonds with another color.
So I took out the quilt and found some blue stars that I thought would work.
I cut the stars from the quilt and pulled the quilted stitches out to release the blue fabric from the batting and backing.( the thread is so thick and strong. I think it would be the last thing left around the disintegrating fabric)
Then I pinned the blue diamonds between the stars, filling in the spaces.
I was going in the right direction, but it was still not quite right. Then I saw that it had to be the black striped fabric that is backing the rest of the quilt.
So I cut out the last big diamond of black striped fabric from the original quilt and once again pulled out all the quilting.
I was working on my potholders today, so I didn’t get to do much on my goddess, but I was able to cut one diamond shape (using the blue pieces as a template) and pin in a couple of the edges to get an idea of what it will look like.
And it was just right. The tan stars will stand out behind her own star-like head like an aura or halo. And the black striped fabric will create a unity with the rest of the piece.