It was way back in November that I began working on Carole’s Quilt.
Carole has been saving the fabric for a while and asked me if I’d make it into a quilt. I don’t always take commissions, but when Carole asked it felt right to me, so I said yes. She told me after that she asked me once before and I told her it wasn’t a good time.
But before Carole could send me all the fabric Ellen asked me to make her two quilts for Christmas and since there were only a couple of weeks to do that I worked on those quilts instead.
I guess that threw me off track with Carole’s quilt until now.
I began by folding two of the hankies that came in the box with the rest of the fabric, around a piece of blue fabric. Then I used them in the squares that border the large center piece of fabric.
There are a few pieces of fabric that Carole especially loves and asked if at all possible to use them in the quilt. The pink and white striped piece is one of them.
At first, I couldn’t see it fitting in.
Most of the other fabric has soft and muted colors and patterns. But it’s really just a matter of focus. It was easy enough for me to change directions and use the bold pink stripes to pull out the deep reds and pinks in the flowers from the center piece.
I cut up another hankie into squares and alternated it with the gray and white polka dot fabric. I was sure those flowers in the middle, between the gray fabric, would be another hard piece of fabric to place because it’s so completely different from the rest of the fabric, but I found its places early on.
This is how I left the quilt at the end of the day.
I think the bird and hankie that I placed on the sides of the quilt will guide my next steps.