I had a good day in my studio working on my Heron fabric painting. Once I started working on the eye and beak, I was into it. I stitched the eye, beak and top of the heron’s head using my free motion sewing machine.
Then I started adding the fabric. The first pieces I sewed to incorporate with the stitching.
Then I added the rest of the fabric using matte medium. Those scrap pieces that Karen sent me were just the right shape and size. I only had do so a small amount of trimming.
I had the fabric laid out on my work table and just chose the colors that looked right as I went along. I knew I wanted darker blue on the bottom and more of the greens for the wing.
I love working with the matte medium. In the past I would have hand-stitched the fabric on to the backing. I was always trying to hide the stitches. I didn’t like the lines they made on the fabric. I wanted the pieces of fabric to be more integrated with each other.
I started using the matte medium when I made some collages inspired by my friend Emily during the pandemic lockdown.
Tomorrow I’ll start working on the legs and feet. I already know which fabric I want to use and that I’ll be hand sewing the legs.