This is how it happened…
I made a quilt called In My Woods. When I was done my work table was filled with fabric scraps from the quilt. Some just leftover pieces of fabric that I used in the quilt…
Others pieces that I’d sewn together and trimmed off the quilt. A few were long lines of little squares and rectangles. They looked to me like little jewels. The strip in the potholder above even has a tiny dragonfly in it.
For some of the potholders, when I couldn’t get them to work with the scraps I had, I added some fabric from my stash.
After making thirteen potholders, I still had some scraps left and when I sewed them together, they were too big for a potholder. But the design spoke to me and I kept on sewing until a new quilt emerged from the scraps of the potholders.
In a way, this is always how the creative process for me.
One piece leads to another. It’s not always as direct as it was with these two quilts and potholders. But by now I know, there will always be another idea as long as I keep on working.