After a month of making Painted Hankie Scarves, it took me a while to figure out what I would work on today.
When I got to my studio, I walked around looking at fabric for potholders. I played for a while with a few pieces of fabric that I had put in a pile when I was cleaning up my studio over a month ago, that I though might be the beginnings of a quilt.
It was only after lunch that I settled on continuing working on the quilt I started in December and has been hanging on my wall since then.
The reason I decided to work on it, was because as soon as I put it on my floor I knew it wanted that blue border. The same blue that was pieced in with the light blue and white stripes.
Next, I found the little squares I had cut off a linen dish towel, waiting to be used. The plaid between them was just the right colors and pattern.
This is what I had sewed together when I left my studio this evening.
I realized that the blue box wants to float so the quilt needs a wide border next. I wanted to use the same red and white fabric with the scene on it that is at the bottom of the quilt, but I don’t have enough to go around the whole thing.
That’s not a problem. It is actually just this kind of thing that helps to make my quilts go in a direction I might not have taken them. When I run out of a fabric I have to find something that will work in its place.
I spent some time looking for that fabric in my stash tonight but didn’t find it.
That doesn’t discourage me though. It was the end of the day and I was creatively tired. I have faith that just the right fabric is in my studio. Either what I was looking for is there and I didn’t see it, or I have to think about it differently.