The dresses have been sitting in a pile in my studio. The seam has been split on the blue dress for months. I always wear a shirt over it so it doesn’t really matter. But the last time I washed it the rip was about 10 inches long.
Then there’s the purple dress I shortened. I got it at NV, the Consignment shop in town, over a month ago, and only wore it a couple of times before trying to make it shorter. But I did it at the end of the day, and cut too much off. It was more of a shirt than a dress by the time I got done with it. I put it aside two weeks ago, not sure what to do about it.
Oddly, this morning, I had the urge to do some mending. Usually I like doing something creative on Monday mornings. I’m all rested up from the weekend. So I don’t know what came over me, but there I was stitching up the seam in my blue dress (which took about 30 seconds).
Then I had an idea for the purple dress. I took the piece I cut off the dress, cut off a few inches then sewed it back onto the bottom of the “too short” dress. Now it’s just the right length. It’s not perfect, it now has a ragged look. But it works for me and I’m glad to have my “new” dress back.
I’m pretty good at putting things that I don’t really want to do. But I’m going to try and remember how easy both these dresses were to fix. And how quickly I was able to do it.