My grandmother’s ironing board always had a series of safety pins and stings holding the cover on. I don’t know why I remember that, but every once in a while the image of it comes back to me.
And it’s that image that came to mind the last couple of times I changed my ironing board cover. Because the new ones just never fit right. And the longer I had them, the worse they got. Also, the fabric on the cover seems to be thinner than tissue paper. Fraying and ripping mcuh too easily.
I was done with buying a new cover and hoping it would be different.
So this afternoon, thinking of my grandmother’s ironing board, I pulled out a big piece of canvas I had in my stash and stretched it over my ironing board. I thought about using safety pins and stings, but decided sewing it on, with a needle and some strong yarn, would be easier.
It took me about 15 minutes and now I have the ironing board cover of my dreams. I can’t wait to try it out.