I got into my studio early and got right to work on my Moth quilt. I was scheduled to work at the Cambridge Co-op today so I wanted to get as much work in as possible before going there.
I tried out a couple of different fabrics to go between the squares I pieced together yesterday and decided on the green with the tiny leaf pattern. I liked how it picked up the other greens in the quilt and was a more subtle transition between the pieces than the browns I was also looking at.
Then I chose to repeat the blue and green organic pattern from the African fabric.
It turned out when I got to the Co-op, the weekly order that I was going to help pack out came early and was already done. So there wasn’t any work for me to do. I picked up some yogurt and canned tomatoes and headed home, eager to get back to work on my quilt.
I had been working on the bottom strip of pink when I left for the Co-op, so I got right back into it.
I liked the green in this piece of the old quilt top, but the white and brown stripes didn’t work. So I cut it up and kept the green but replaced the white with the orange and blue piece of African fabric above it in the photo.
After this, the quilt was a struggle. By 5:30 I had tried so many different fabrics on every side of the quilt to figure out what came next. But I was having a hard time making a decision. It took me a while to accept it, but I was creatively spent.
When I left my studio I was somewhat convinced that at this point the quilt needed a thin dark brown line around it to frame it as it was. I have no idea if that’s the right decision or not. But I’m not going to think about it anymore tonight. I obviously need some space from it to be able to know what to do next.