I had no trouble naming this quilt. It came to me with the same ease that made me know I had to make it.
I thought it might be one of the quilts that I would make for Linda. But her plans changed and I’ll be making less quilts for her than I thought. And this quilt isn’t right for the couple I will be making a quilt, this size for. That one will have solid colors and geometric patterns if any.
So Dancing With The Dragonflies will be for sale once I finish it. It’s about 75″x90″ and will be $450 + shipping.
And I’m close to getting it done. I completed the design of the front of it today.
That red and blue fabric on the bottom is a Colonial Revival print from the 1970s. And did I have fun finishing off the top of the quilt.
I was thinking about the name and how it just came to me.
My friend Emily gave me that dragonfly a few years ago. I used some of it to make potholders, and had these last scraps for a while. That middle square came together easily, the dance came when I wanted to bring the dragonflies and the surrounding colors to an unexpected place.
And I feel like I did that, using a wide range of vintage and contemporary fabrics.
This quilt feels like dancing to me.
Not dancing alone, but in the way I have learned to Bellydance. A collaboration, a give and take, and back and forth. And of course improv, working with what you have and moving things around to make something beautiful.
Detail with dragonflies.