I wanted a goddess for my new piece, but the ones I was thinking of just didn’t seem right. Then, last night, I opened up my “Language of the Goddess” book and there she was. How was it that I’d never seen her before. It was a small photograph of a statue of a Snake Goddess with both hands on her breasts. It looked to me like she was claiming the rights to her body, to herself. I knew she needed to be on the quilt.
So I did a bunch of drawings, making her into my own version. I’m not done with her yet. And I’m not sure where she’ll go on the quilt. But I think I’m going to cut away the fabric around her and sew her right onto the quilt. Stitching over some of the marker lines and using colorful markers and to fill her in.
The quilt has three small squares of fabric with these sailor/flagmen on them. I wanted to highlight them so I stitched the strawberry trim around them following the curves and dips of the quilt.
This is what the quilt looked like when I left my studio tonight.