Today was the day to create the moth for my Shield of Words fabric printing.
The first thing I did was a drawing to size of the moth. It took me many tries to get the right size and shape.
I decided the fabric for the moth needed to be quilted and chose the same old quilt that I made the shield out of, only using the back. I liked how the hand quilting sat inside the shape of the moth.
Using a pencil I traced the paper moth onto the fabric then painted it using the same yellow that I used on the shield. I made two so I’d have one to practice on.
On the first moth I used purple thread. I got a good feeling for what it would look like, using some fabric and some stitching to make the markings on the wings.
Although the purple worked really nicely with the yellow it didn’t work with the fabric painting.
So I used the same maroon thread that I used to draw the woman. I mixed orange paint to dry brush over the yellow to give it a little more texture.
I cut the moth out and pinned it to the fabric painting. I still have to figure out how I’ll sew it down. I may cut off the antenna and stitch them directly onto the backing.